Orthodontics » Invisalign
There is a solution to having straighter teeth without having to wear metal braces. Known as invisible orthodontics, this type of treatment offers you the choice of wearing a clear and sometimes removable appliance while straightening and aligning your teeth.
This is often a favourable option for adults who have professional careers and don't feel comfortable wearing unsightly 'train track' braces for months on end. The technology behind invisible orthodontics is highly advanced and often gives patients a much shorter treatment time, depending on their individual cases.
Benefits of this type of treatment include having teeth straightened in a generally shortened period of time, straighter teeth and alignment of your top and bottom jaws. You can also enjoy the flexibility of your braces being hidden from an untrained eye, making you feel less self-conscious when socialising or speaking in public. With removable devices you can also take them out to eat or for special occasions, so they fit around your lifestyle.
It is important to remember that straighter teeth are healthier teeth. When your bite is properly aligned and your teeth are straightened, there are less gaps and areas for food to get trapped and plaque to build up on the teeth, causing decay. In that sense, invisible orthodontics is a long-term investment in your oral health.
- Invisalign® aligners are designed to fit easily into your lifestyle. You'll wear them for around 22 hours every day, only removing them to eat, brush, and floss.
- Every two weeks, you switch to a new set of aligners. The series of aligners will gradually move your teeth into their final prescribed position. In order for us to monitor your progress and provide your next batch of aligners, you'll visit your Dentist every 6-8 weeks.
Benefits of Invisalign®
There are many benefits to choosing Invisalign® over traditional braces.
- Aligners are virtually invisible, so hardly anyone will notice that you are straightening your teeth
- The treatment allows you to maintain your dental hygiene and brush and floss as normal
- The aligners can be removed for eating, drinking or special occasions
- There is less chance of irritation on your mouth and gums since there are no brackets or wires on the aligners
- From the start, you'll know how long your treatment will take and what your teeth are expected to look like at the end of the process
How does the process work?
An average treatment takes between 9 and 18 months and is made up of the following steps:
- A consultation with one of our certified Invisalign® practitioners. They will be able to demonstrate the Invisalign® aligners and assess your case for suitability. If you would like to have an Invisalign® treatment plan formulated, you will need to have had a full examination and a screening film so we can check your teeth are gums and healthy prior to starting. Diagnostics will be taken, photographs of your smile and impressions, and these records with your x-rays are sent to Invisalign® to have treatment plan formulated.
- A virtual 3D image known as your 'clin check' is then generated. This shows us movement of your teeth from the current position to the desired final position.
- Using your 'clin check' we can show you the process of your treatment, the proposed final position of your teeth and the number of aligners you will need to move your teeth.
- We will then work with you to approve the plan and arrange a set of bespoke aligners to be printed and despatched so we can start treatment.
Will I need to wear a retainer?
As with any teeth-straightening treatment, you will need to wear a retainer to maintain the straighter position of your teeth. We prefer to provide both and fixed and removable retainer to maintain the new position of your teeth. This will be discussed as part of your treatment.
How much does it cost?
Invisalign® costs from £1750-£3750 depending on the complexity. In the majority of cases we need to treat both top and bottom teeth to create the right amount of space to move teeth into alignment. The cost of Vivera retainers are from £200 - £400 per arch.« Back to Dental Treatments